Front End Engineer - Full Time, Remote
WeHealth is a Public Benefit Corporation founded at the intersection of public health, technology and design. We take a human-first approach to ensure that our technology is safe, private, and anonymous. We build and foster decentralized technology to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases such as COVID-19 securely and anonymously, i.e. without sharing any personal information, to protect individual privacy.
We are looking for a Front End Engineer to help us add new features to our web portal which is the control room for Public Health Authorities to track progress and help empower people to make better decisions. We’re open to discussing various employment and compensation structures.
About the Role
- Interpret requirements and build high quality software quickly to the product specifications
- Write and debug code for web-based applications, including the user interface, business logic, and backend connection to the remote system components.
- Deploy and support delivered features and optimize web applications to continuously improve quality, speed, and scale.
- Clearly communicate about the constraints of the codebase
- Conduct technical design and code reviews.
- Evaluate and explore new technologies and solutions to advance capabilities, innovate, and continuously improve.
- Mentor other engineer where needed
- Be aware of upgrades, capabilities and trends in the ecosystem and notice and communicate opportunities and threats
Skills for candidate an ideal candidate
- 3+ years of experience developing and maintaining code for web applications
- Listening skills to build the right software - listen carefully to product management and customers and synthesize
- Strong debugging and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments for user access control and data privacy
- Proficient in Github, React, GraphQL - it’s early code so you can help define the stack
- Knowledge of Apple / Google Exposure Notification API is a plus
- Experience with Firebase, BigQuery, Go, Swift, Kotlin, Dart, and visualization technologies is a plus
- Experience configuring cloud services in AWS and GCP is a plus
Attitudes and attributes of an ideal candidate
- Protecting privacy is a principle that drives you
- Innovation and making a positive impact motivates you.
- You are results and quality oriented
- Willing to work with team members in different time zones and with different skills
- Be available during early and later hours of the day
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies.
- A strong sense of ownership, accountability, and drive.
Ideal outcomes within 2 weeks
- Know good chunks of the codebase and have recommendations for improvements
- Have written code to deliver a feature request or fix a bug, several times
- Have contributed meaningfully to merge request feedback of current engineers
- work collaboratively with our team of development and test engineers, and partner with other teams such as customer success, and product management.
Ideal outcomes within 1 month
- Know the entire codebase and can answer questions about technical details
- Writing/have written code that touches on significant architecture of the codebase
WeHealth is a completely distributed team. There do seem to be a number of us in California, but that’s not required. Since we’re incorporated in the U.S., U.S. laws will apply in what we do.
The cash compensation is at the level of early-stage startups (in the range of $50-80k a year), enough to cover expenses and to make work sustainable. We also offer very generous equity and very good health care and other benefits.
This position is needed immediately as it's one of the most critical roles that we need to fill in order to help service governments and organizations that need these services.
About the Product
You can see more about the app here.
The main user facing systems are smartphone apps on Android & iOS. They hold special white-listed API access that is granted to only one app per state or country. The team owns these entitlements for several jurisdictions.
This the area that is accessible to the Public Health Departments. This includes a dashboard to understand how the apps are being utilized population-wide. And it also includes a way to configure and maintain the risk and messaging customizations for the live apps in real-time. This is the control center that puts Public Health Departments in a direct feedback loop with people, in a decentralized, anonymous way.
There are a couple of server systems that enable the whole platform. Both the Key Server system and the Verification Server systems are based on standard, open-source reference server implementations by Google.
We respect your time, so we’ve kept it simple to just a resume and a cover letter. For the cover letter, bullet points are fine. It’s just useful to have context when reviewing applications.
It is the policy of WeHealth to provide all persons with equal employment and educational opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, religion, age, gender, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, disability or AIDS/HIV status, medical conditions, gender identity, or status as a Vietnam-Era veteran. These categories specifically include status as a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning person.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions upon request.
We pride ourselves in being a mission-driven, purpose-led organization and a group of dedicated individuals who care about social good and public health impact. We care about each other and about the world, and it shows in how we interact with each other and our customers and in all the decisions we make. While our organization arose out of the pandemic and is focused on addressing the COVID-19 crisis-, our goal is to create a culture of stability, assurance, trust, resilience, and a sense of calm within our organization and everyone we work with. We believe in work-life balance, taking weekends off, avoiding burnout and making sure everyone finds meaning and sustainability in what we do. Our mission is to address global health challenges through technology and human-centered design, to prevent disease and promote health, and it all starts with taking care of ourselves 😀.