Front End Intern - Full Time, Remote
WeHealth is a Public Benefit Corporation founded at the intersection of public health, technology and design. We take a human-first approach to ensure that our technology is safe, private, and anonymous. We build and foster decentralized technology to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases such as COVID-19 securely and anonymously, i.e. without sharing any personal information, to protect individual privacy.
We are looking for a Front End Intern to help us deliver new features for our web and mobile application, while continually improving product quality, operational efficiency and engineering excellence.
About the Product
You can see more about the app here.
About the Role
- Interpret requirements and build high quality software quickly to the product specifications
- Write and debug code for web-based applications, including the user interface, business logic, and backend connection to the remote system components.
- Deploy and support delivered features and optimize web applications to continuously improve quality, speed, and scale.
- Scale our systems and processes to support business growth
- Conduct technical design and code reviews, and clearly communicate about the constraints of the codebase
- Evaluate and explore new technologies and solutions to advance capabilities, innovate, and continuously improve.
- Be aware of upgrades, capabilities and trends in front end technologies and notice and communicate opportunities and threats
- Identify and improve resiliency of our web products and services
- Prototyping the UI/UX for upcoming solutions
- Prototyping upcoming UX designs
Skills for candidate an ideal candidate
- 1+ years of experience developing and maintaining code for web applications
- Strong debugging and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent listening skills to build the right software - listen carefully to product management and customers and synthesize
- Knowledge of user authentication and authorization between multiple systems, servers, and environments for user access control and data privacy
- Knowledge of Apple / Google Exposure Notification API
- Experience with Firebase, BigQuery, Go, Swift, Kotlin, Dart, and visualization technologies
- Experience deploying web applications in AWS and GCP
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python and shell scripts
- BS other certification in related field, preferred by not required
Attitudes and attributes of an ideal candidate
- Protecting privacy is a principle that drives you
- Innovation and making a positive impact motivates you.
- You are results and quality oriented
- Occasionally being available to work with team members in different time zones, during early and later hours of the day (PST)
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies
WeHealth is a completely distributed team. There do seem to be a number of us in California, but that’s not required. Since we’re incorporated in the U.S., U.S. laws will apply in what we do.
This is a paid internship position and the compensation will range from $4000-$6000/mo depending on industry experience level.
We’re currently accepting applications and the internship will begin ASAP for a duration of 3-4 months. So this isn't a Summer internship. There is also the potential for this to become a part or full-time role after completing the full-time internship.
The main user facing systems are smartphone apps on Android & iOS. They hold special white-listed API access that is granted to only one app per state or country. The team owns these entitlements for several jurisdictions.
This the area that is accessible to the Public Health Departments. This includes a dashboard to understand how the apps are being utilized population-wide. And it also includes a way to configure and maintain the risk and messaging customizations for the live apps in real-time. This is the control center that puts Public Health Departments in a direct feedback loop with people, in a decentralized, anonymous way.
There are a couple of server systems that enable the whole platform. Both the Key Server system and the Verification Server systems are based on standard, open-source reference server implementations by Google.
We respect your time, so we’ve kept it simple to just a resume and a cover letter. For the cover letter, bullet points are fine. It’s just useful to have context when reviewing applications.
It is the policy of WeHealth to provide all persons with equal employment and educational opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, religion, age, gender, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, disability or AIDS/HIV status, medical conditions, gender identity, or status as a Vietnam-Era veteran. These categories specifically include status as a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning person.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions upon request.
We pride ourselves in being a mission-driven, purpose-led organization and a group of dedicated individuals who care about social good and public health impact. We care about each other and about the world, and it shows in how we interact with each other and our customers and in all the decisions we make. While our organization arose out of the pandemic and is focused on addressing the COVID-19 crisis-, our goal is to create a culture of stability, assurance, trust, resilience, and a sense of calm within our organization and everyone we work with. We believe in work-life balance, taking weekends off, avoiding burnout and making sure everyone finds meaning and sustainability in what we do. Our mission is to address global health challenges through technology and human-centered design, to prevent disease and promote health, and it all starts with taking care of ourselves 😀.