Full Stack Intern - Full Time, Remote
WeHealth is a Public Benefit Corporation founded at the intersection of public health, technology and design. We take a human-first approach to ensure that our technology is safe, private, and anonymous. We build and foster decentralized technology to prevent and control the spread of infectious diseases such as COVID-19 securely and anonymously, i.e. without sharing any personal information, to protect individual privacy.
We are looking for a Full Stack Intern to help us deliver new features for our web and mobile application products and backend services, while continually improving product quality, operational efficiency and engineering excellence.
About the Role
- Build or enhance high quality software quickly, while ensuring engineering excellence in design, development and release.
- Analyze requirements, design solutions, build and deliver new features
- Troubleshoot and fix bugs in the code to make sure they are error-free
- Produce reusable libraries and open-source code to increase operational success metrics
- Identify and improve system resiliency
- Prototype or enhance potential features
- Prototype or enhance disease models
Education and Experience
- Google Cloud Platform certification or 2+ years of experience developing and deploying cloud software applications using GCP
- 2+ years of software engineering experience in developing software in web technologies for developing client and server applications
Skills for an ideal candidate
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Ability to develop, deploy, and maintain high availability and high-scale web, mobile, and backend software applications in GCP
- Experience designing and developing APIs, security systems, as well as working with third-party APIs and integrations
- Strong debugging and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly when describing system architecture and capabilities
- Excellent listening skills to build the right software - listen carefully to product management and customers and synthesize
- Excellent attention to detail and strong collaboration skills
- Strong proficiency with Web App / Cloud security best practices
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming, distributed computing, and experience in several programming and scripting languages
- Knowledge of Apple / Google Exposure Notification API
- Experience with Swift, Kotlin, Dart, and visualization technologies
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python and shell scripts
- MS in Computer Science or related field or a PhD candidate, preferred by not required
Attitudes and attributes of an ideal candidate
- Protecting privacy is a principle that drives you
- Innovation and making a positive impact motivates you.
- You are results and quality oriented
- Occasionally being available to work with team members in different time zones, during early and later hours of the day (PST)
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies
WeHealth is a completely distributed team. There do seem to be a number of us in California, but that’s not required. Since we’re incorporated in the U.S., U.S. laws will apply in what we do.
This is a paid internship position and the compensation will range from $4000-$6000/mo depending on industry experience level.
We’re currently accepting applications and the internship will begin ASAP for a duration of 3-4 months. So this isn't a Summer internship. There is also the potential for this to become a part or full-time role after completing the full-time internship.
About the Product
You can see more about the app here.
The main user facing systems are smartphone apps on Android & iOS. They hold special white-listed API access that is granted to only one app per state or country. The team owns these entitlements for several jurisdictions.
This the area that is accessible to the Public Health Departments. This includes a dashboard to understand how the apps are being utilized population-wide. And it also includes a way to configure and maintain the risk and messaging customizations for the live apps in real-time. This is the control center that puts Public Health Departments in a direct feedback loop with people, in a decentralized, anonymous way.
There are a couple of server systems that enable the whole platform. Both the Key Server system and the Verification Server systems are based on standard, open-source reference server implementations by Google.
We respect your time, so we’ve kept it simple to just a resume and a cover letter. For the cover letter, bullet points are fine. It’s just useful to have context when reviewing applications.
It is the policy of WeHealth to provide all persons with equal employment and educational opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, national origin, ethnic group identification, religion, age, gender, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, disability or AIDS/HIV status, medical conditions, gender identity, or status as a Vietnam-Era veteran. These categories specifically include status as a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning person.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions upon request.
We pride ourselves in being a mission-driven, purpose-led organization and a group of dedicated individuals who care about social good and public health impact. We care about each other and about the world, and it shows in how we interact with each other and our customers and in all the decisions we make. While our organization arose out of the pandemic and is focused on addressing the COVID-19 crisis-, our goal is to create a culture of stability, assurance, trust, resilience, and a sense of calm within our organization and everyone we work with. We believe in work-life balance, taking weekends off, avoiding burnout and making sure everyone finds meaning and sustainability in what we do. Our mission is to address global health challenges through technology and human-centered design, to prevent disease and promote health, and it all starts with taking care of ourselves 😀.